Introduction to Robotics Systems (5%)
The purpose this unit is to provide students with an introduction to robotics
systems by first discussing the fundamental concepts of Technological Systems.
Students will go on to discuss robotics systems and identify the components that
make up robotics systems.
Topic 1: Introduction to Technological Systems and Subsystems
- Powerpoint (Covers
outcomes 1.1.1 - 1.1.3)
- 1.1.1 differentiate between science and technology. [3.402,3.403]
- 1.1.2 analyze examples of technology as a process and technology as a
product. [3.403, 3.402]
- 1.1.3 describe the Universal Systems Model. [3.401, 3.402]
Topic 2: Robotics Overview
- PowerPoint (Covers
outcomes 1.2.1 - 1.2.4)
- 1.2.1 develop a definition for robotics systems.
- 1.2.2 identify examples of industries that use robotics systems.
- Web Links
- 1.2.3 list and describe a series of tasks that robots commonly perform in
- 1.2.4 identify careers associated with robotics systems.
- 1.2.5 discuss the sustainability of robotics as it applies to economic,
social and cultural issues.
- 1.2.6 list and describe the milestones of robotics development in history.
Topic 3: Introduction to Robotics Systems
- 1.3.1 explain the principles behind the operation of simple machines.
- 1.3.2 identify the main sub-systems of a robot.
- 1.3.3 recognize how tools on a robot are applications of simple machines.
- 1.3.4 describe mechanical advantage.
- 1.3.5 demonstrate mechanical advantage as it applies to the motion and/or
force of a robot.
- 1.3.6 identify common sensor types utilized in robotics.
- 1.3.7 identify the two main types of actuators.
- 1.3.8 define the term “degrees of freedom” with respect to robotic
- 1.3.9 identify motor types typically used in robotics
- 1.3.10 identify drive train systems available for robot mobility.
- 1.3.11 identify common power sources used in robotics
- AC\DC Power supplies
- 1.3.12 differentiate between methods of energy transfer within robotics